Shabbat Across America At Home
February 28 @ 6:00 pm - 10:30 pm
“More than Jews have kept Shabbat, Shabbat has kept the Jews.”
On Friday, February 28, tens of thousands of North American Jews will come together in spiritual unison with one another and with thousands of years of tradition. Shabbat Across America At Home is an initiative that encourages Jews of all backgrounds to come together and celebrate what unifies us all: Shabbat.
Participation is simple! Just host a Friday night Shabbat dinner at your home with family, friends, neighbors, colleagues—anyone who would appreciate a warm Shabbat dinner.
Are you feeling inspired, but perhaps a little daunted by the prospect of hosting? Consider these encouraging words from Rabbi David Booth:
“Dinner can be anything. For some, it makes sense to prepare a delicious and elegant meal. For others, take-out pizza is the right choice. In other words, privilege having people over and don’t let anything stop you! Use the ritual that is right for you. Our website has resources including kiddush, hamotzi, the grace after meals, and the candle lighting.
Yet this is YOUR meal. You get to decide exactly what and how much you will do. I feel kiddush and hamotzi create a sacred vessel for a meal. I also love engaging in some Torah study and offering thanksgiving at the end of meal. You are the host, so you offer the ritual that feels most meaningful to you.”
Check out the resources below to help you plan a joyous and meaningful Friday night!
- An Orientation to Hospitality
- Fast and Easy Shabbat Recipes from Kol Emeth Clergy
- Shabbat Dinner Recipes from Celebrity Chefs
- Friday night blessings, sung by Rabbi Sarah Graff (MP3 format)
- Blessing for Candle Lighting
- Shalom Aleichem (Welcoming the Shabbat Angels)
- Kiddush for Friday Night (Blessing over Wine)
- Blessings for Hand-washing and Hamotzi (Breaking Bread)
- Source Sheet for Study, by Rabbi David Booth (“Generosity”)
- Shabbat Table Questions to Spark Conversation
- Birkat Hamazon (Grace After Meals)
Post archive date: Saturday February 29th, 2020
Having trouble viewing anything in our new events display? Please let us know!