Our Religious School meets on Tuesday afternoons (3:50-6:15pm) and Saturday mornings (9:15am-12:15pm). Our K-2nd grade curriculum is taught in a Hebrew immersion style, with classes conducted almost entirely in Hebrew. However, no Hebrew background is required for students entering these grades – they will learn it all here at Kol Emeth!
With intimate classes and dedicated teachers, our students gain a solid foundation in the Jewish tradition and solidify lasting friendships with their Jewish peers. Throughout their years of Jewish education here at Kol Emeth, our students not only feel intellectually and spiritually prepared for their Bar or Bat Mitzvah, but also excited to continue their lifelong Jewish journey.
Parents are an integral part of our community. Synagogue membership is not required for students under 5th grade to participate in our religious school – however, we are always happy to help you find your voice at Kol Emeth!
Contact Rabbi Michael Schwartz, our Director of Education, with any questions about our program,or to let us know that you are interested in getting involved.
Our Curriculum Focus:
- Kindergarten: Jewish Values
- 1st & 2nd grades: Synagogue Life and Jewish Rituals
- 3rd grade: Shabbat, Kashrut, Blessings and Holidays
- 4th grade: Jewish Life Cycles
- 5th grade: Jewish History from the Temple to the Shtetl
- 6th grade: Israeli History and Culture
- 7th grade: B’nai Mitzvah Journeys; Seeing the World Through Jewish Eyes
- 8th-12th grade/ Kol High: Jewish Ethics, Jews in America, History of Anti-Semitism; Madrichim: Jewish Educational Leadership, Comparative Religions through Jewish Eyes, Competing Narratives of Israeli History, Judaism and Social Justice
Tuesday Afternoon Chugim Electives:
We have 3 rounds per year of chugim. Each chug runs for 9 sessions during the last half hour of our Religious School day, 5:45-6:15pm. Chugim offerings change regularly. Here are some past highlights:
- Krav maga (Israeli Self Defense) ~ Glee Club ~ Band
- Cartooning ~ Sculpture ~Israel-inspired Mosaics
- Painting/Drawing ~ Improv Comedy ~ Jewish Yoga
- Israeli Dancing ~ Jewish Cooking ~ Jewish Book Club
- Ritual Knitting ~ Wire Kippot ~ Needlepoint
- Through the Jewish Lens: Photography
- Jewish themed ceramics
Other Perks and Programs:
- Fun and nutritious snacks!
- Prayer and discussion!
- Hands-On Sundays: Learning and fun for the whole family!