Becoming a Bar/Bat Mitzvah is among the most important milestones in the life of a Jewish person. Upon turning 13, a young person is considered an adult in the eyes of Jewish law. At Kol Emeth, the preparations for this special time begin midway through the fifth grade year with a fun kickoff luncheon. Dates are selected in the spring of fifth grade. In sixth grade, students and parents attend a series of family classes on Shabbat, culminating in a fun and festive session of learning (and cake) on Shavuot! During the 7th grade year, students take part in a Tefillin Brunch, as they continue closely working with our Rabbis and Educators. About 6 months prior to the date, they will work closely with our Mitzvah director, Jeff Schwarz preparing for their role in the ceremony. Giving back to the community is another important step in the process, and students will complete a “Mitzvah Project” as part of their Bar or Bat Mitzvah journey.
Please note that synagogue membership is required to begin the Bar/Bat Mitzvah preparation process. We welcome your family!
B’nai Mitzvah Orientation Dates, Spring 2017:
-Saturday, Jan 7, 12:15pm: 5th Grade family B’nai Mitzvah Kickoff Luncheon
– Saturday, March 4
– Saturday March, 18
– Saturday, March 25
– Sunday, March 26 – Chesed Cooking Day
– Saturday, April 22
– Tuesday night, May 30, 8-10:30pm – Shavuot Late-Night Torah Extravaganza
– Fall, Date & Location TBA: B’nai Mitzvah Family Brunch – Social Event (Private Home)
– Early December, Date TBA: Special Sunday Morning Minyan with Tefillin Brunch at KE
B’nai Mitzvah Materials:
- B’nai Mitzvah Manual (2017)
- Family B’nai Mitzvah Covenant (2017)
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah Date Preference Form
- Mitzvah Project Letter to 6th Grader and Family
- Mitzvah Projects
- Mitzvah Projects form
If you have any questions about the Bar or Bat Mitzvah Process, Please Contact Us!